Confession time: I’m not a huge fan of glittery stuff. I prefer a shiny gold anything, any day. (Sequins don’t count. I love sequins…) However, the moment I set my eyes on these little wooden dinosaurs at the Target dollar spot I knew they were destined to become Glittersauri. (That’s the plural for Glittersaurus, obviously.)
These kits are meant for 3 year olds, so lucky for me it was quite easy. Although matching the numbers to the parts seems more suited for a 5 year old if you ask me.
I sprayed all three dinosaurs with a white base coat, which gave me a smooth surface before proceeding to the glitter. For the first Glittersaurus I attempted I just went straight into the purple glitter paint, and that was a mistake. It took quite a bit of spraying to get full coverage, and I ended up running out of spray paint before I got the coverage I wanted! The proper way to go about this would’ve been to make the base coat the same color as the glitter paint. (Duh.)
I set about to do the next Glittersauri properly. I picked out pearly pink and teal acrylic paints from my stash that matched perfectly, and went to work. It took me FOREVER to finish the base coat on these two dinos. There’s a lot of little nooks and crannies and my OCD side wanted to be sure there was not a single speck left unpainted. My impatient side eventually won, so don’t inspect them too closely.
(My boyfriend asked me why I didn’t spray paint all the pieces before assembling. My answer: 1) because I didn’t think of that, and 2) I actually think the paint would add too much bulk and make it harder to fit the pieces together. Plus 3) spraying them afterwards kinda helps seal those seams a little. At least I think so.)
So there you have it! My Glittersauri!